I had the brain fart that if I’m going to South Korea, what about North Korea? You know, Googling gets me in a lot of trouble with these adventures
Kelli Jackson returns to Sparta Chicks Radio this week.
Kelli was first on the podcast in mid-2019 (you can find that episode here). In that conversation, we discussed how Kelli transformed herself from (and I quote) an “unassuming middle age, overweight, unfit accountant who smoked” and who couldn’t ride a unicycle into an athlete and adventurer who planned to ride a unicycle around the world!
This time, Kelli returned to share her most recent adventure - becoming the first Westerner to ride a unicycle inside North Korea!
I have never met or spoken with someone who has been to North Korea so I was very excited to hear about it.
Kelli and I discuss:
* why she decided to try and become the first person to unicycle inside North Korea,
* her plan to ride the length of South Korea and how her trip unfolded,
* the surprising highlight of her time in South Korea,
* how difficult it is to get into North Korea, the moral considerations that she was taking into account and how she came to reconcile them,
* the unusual condition placed on her plans to ride her unicycle by authorities in North Korea 3 days before she was due to arrive,
* what her expectations of North Korea were and how that compared to the reality,
* what surprised her about North Korea and the highlights,
* the impact of not having set her next goal when she arrived home,
* the importance of separating achievement goals from activity goals to maintain motivation,
* the importance of self-acceptance and trying not to compare who you are today to the athletes you previously were,
* how time off the bike and health issues have impacted her identity and how she sees herself,
* the power of defining your Future Self,
* why being curious can help you manage uncertainty and anxiety about the future,
* why you should set ridiculously big goals.
Notes and resources:
To find out more about Kelli or to say hello, you can find her on Instagram.