Long before I discovered endurance sports, my first love was strength training. So I am delighted to welcome Erin Carson to Sparta Chicks Radio this week.
Erin is strength coach to the stars of endurance sports.
Based in Boulder, Colorado she is the co-owner & operator of Rally Sports and is the head coach for EC Fit. Her clients include the dynamic duo of Mirinda Carfrae (3 x Ironman World Champion) and Tim O’Donnell (fastest American ever at Kona).
Aside from the World Champions she coaches, Erin also coaches everyday people - like me!
I use Erin’s ECFit on Demand app for my strength and conditioning program.
She’s a visionary who is changing what it means to be a strong athlete and the best strength training for endurance athletes.
In this conversation we discuss:
* her career as a basketball player, including playing professionally in Europe,
* how her love of strength training started from a need to become stronger for basketball,
* her transition into strength training endurance athletes,
* why addressing hormonal responses and creating more energy (rather than strength or speed) is at the heart of her philosophy,
* why strength training for performance is about how well you can move, not how much you can lift,
* the importance of rest and recovery and the easiest way to incorporate it into your busy schedule (essentially, forget all the tech; just do things that you find relaxing or that calm you down - which is *not* spending time on social media),
* that she has the opposite of the Imposter Complex and why she’s thought that she’s “good enough” since the 5th grade,
* why you can come last and still be victorious,
* how she came to meet Dr Stacy Sims and how they came to collaborate on a strength program for women,
* how her philosophy and approach to strength training has changed after learning from Dr Sims, and
* her experience through peri-menopause and menopause as an athlete in her 50s.
Notes and resources:
You can check out the 'EC Fit on Demand' app here.
Listen to Erin on the “Hit Play Not Pause” podcast