Life is always going to throw us curveballs. Something is always going to come out of left field. But we do get to choose how we react to that. And that’s where choice comes in again; why am I choosing to choose right now?
It’s a week into 2019 and (let’s be honest) most of the resolutions set over champagne or sparkling mineral water on New Year’s Eve have already been forgotten.
However, you have big dreams and goals you’d like to achieve this year.
So it’s the perfect time to dig deep and ask yourself some important questions:
What do I want in 2019?
What do I need?
There is no-one better equipped to help us answer those questions than this week’s guest on Sparta Chicks Radio, Kemi Nekvapil.
Kemi is, quite simply, a force of nature.
You know one of those people who are fully 'in' the conversation? That’s Kemi.
Kemi has worked in the wellness industry for over 20 years.
A pioneer in the raw food movement in Australia, Kemi is now an accredited executive and personal coach.
She’s committed to helping women like you and I change how we feel about ourselves and how we express ourselves, so we can set boundaries and pursue what we want from life, without guilt or apology.
How good does that sound?
Kemi is the author of two books, Raw Beauty and the Gift of Asking.
She’s also a powerful speaker which is why I chose her to open and close Sparta Chicks Unleashed in 2018.
Plus she’s a trail and ultra marathon runner!
Kemi has completed 11 x marathon distances races, plus a 100km race, the Surf Coast Century, in 2016. So she ‘gets’ us 🙂
Kemi was my ‘secret weapon’ during 2018.
She was my coach for 6 months throughout the year and I can hand-on-heart say Sparta Chicks Unleashed would not have happened if not for her support. So I am super excited to welcome her to the podcast today.
- how she came to be living with foster parents from the age of 2 weeks,
- how a shopping trip to buy underwear at age with her fifth set of foster parents taught her a powerful lesson about choice (and ultimately empowerment),
- the impact that being told to be a ‘good black girl’ had on her for many years,
- how she was not only able to survive and thrive after her childhood but reach a point of (at least from my perspective) having ‘presence’ and unshakeable confidence LINK
- how she came to live in Australia and the events that led her to become a pioneer in the raw food movement in Australia,
- the powerful realisation that led her from running Kemi’s Raw Food into executive and personal coaching,
- what executive and personal coaching is and why it’s important to have a judgement-free space in your life,
- how she discovered running and what trail running gives her,
- whether our difficulties with asking for help is the reason so many women (myself included) arrive in our 30s and 40s and realise we’ve lost a bit of ourselves and we don’t know who we are or what we like anymore,
- why not getting the help you’re asking for isn’t a problem; it’s feedback,
- the importance of being aware of the meaning (or story) you give to events and how to communicate that with others so they understand your perspective in a way that’s constructive, rather than destructive,
- how setting boundaries and asking for what you need in a clean and clear way empowers other people to do the same,
- what Kemi would like you to do in 2019 in order to thrive (and also why you’re also allowed to pivot once you’ve decided).
I’m so delighted to introduce you to Kemi.
Notes and resources:
Kemi's podcast is coming in early 2019.