I think I reached a point where.. the unthinkable has happened in terms of losing a parent and being in a place that I didn’t think I would be. So I may as well go for what I really want to do and have a good time doing it.
My guest this week on Sparta Chicks Radio is Jamie Mittelman.
She’s the host of my new favourite podcast - Flame Bearers: The Women Athletes Carrying Tokyo's Torch.
The podcast celebrates the journeys of unsung women Olympians & Paralympians. Many have names you probably won’t recognise but each has a remarkable story that needs to be told.
Aside from discussing their athletic career, Jamie also explores the issues that matter most to the athletes, including everything from equal-pay to disability policy and the refugee experience.
Plus she interviews their friends and family, their coaches and even subject matter experts so you get a holistic perspective of who they are and what’s important to them.
We start this conversation with Jamie’s story including:
* the important role sport and outdoor activities played in her family growing up,
* sport as a mental health tool, and
* her struggle with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) particularly during College and how it transformed the sport she loved (soccer) into a source of anxiety and fear, and what she learnt from the experience.
Then we discuss the podcast, including:
* where the idea came from and why it’s so important,
* the episodes that have left a lasting impression on her,
* some of the common lessons or themes her guests have shared, and
* whether she has struggled with putting herself out into the world, why she feels “athletically unqualified” to host the podcast and her experience with the Imposter Complex.
Notes and resources: