“Live every moment the best that you can. Take every opportunity that has ever passed your way. And to do what you love.”
Nicole Bunyon is a trail runner, mum of 3 and founder of Running Mums Australia (RMA).
Nicole established RMA as a simple Facebook group in 2013 after finishing her first marathon.
It has since grown to become an Australian wide network and community for mums who love to, or are interested in, running. You can’t go to running or triathlon event in Australia without seeing a women sporting their distinctive logo!
While RMA shares many women’s stories, I wanted to turn the tables (and microphone) and Nicole and share her story.
- how she started running as a child and has fond memories of exploring the trails near home,
- how being diagnosed with melanoma (skin cancer) changed her perspective, and why it’s so important to trust your gut instinct,
- her first marathon and what she learnt from that experience,
- why she set up Running Mums Australia,
- the importance of self-talk and the mantra she uses during her races, and
- her experience with the Imposter Complex.
Nicole is also an ambassador for several running events including Ultra Trail Australia so we discuss whether she feels the weight of expectation or pressure to perform as a result of her public profile in the sport.
Notes and resources: